Westwood, MA, May 24, 2021 — Massachusetts’s average gas price is the same as last week, averaging $2.91 per gallon. Today’s price is 15 cents higher than a month ago ($2.76), and 93 cents higher than May 24, 2020 ($1.98). Massachusetts’s average gas price is 12 cents lower than the national average.
“Holiday road trippers may come across some gas stations with low fuel supply in popular travel destinations, like beaches, mountains or national parks. However, markets are not expected to be fuel-less, like we saw in the wake of the pipeline shutdown,” said Mary Maguire, AAA Northeast Director of Public and Government Affairs.
AAA offers these road trip tips for Memorial Day travelers:
- Make a good BET before hitting the road: get your battery, engine and tires checked.
- Consider refueling when your gas tank level hits ¼ of a tank.
- Fill up before arriving at your vacation destination. Gas prices are likely to be cheaper outside of popular travel destinations.
- Use your AAA app to find the closest gas station on your route. You can always call ahead to confirm their pumps are flowing.
- Do not leave home without an emergency roadside kit. Include a mobile phone and car charger, first-aid kit, blankets, drinking water, a flashlight with extra batteries, a basic toolkit, warning flares and jumper cables. AAA expects to assist close to 170,000 motorists with vehicle breakdowns over the holiday period. Don’t forget extra snacks or meals, as well as cleaning supplies, including disinfecting wipes.
AAA Northeast’s May 24 survey of fuel prices found the current national average to be 1 cent lower than last week ($3.04), averaging $3.03 a gallon. Today’s national average price is 15 cents higher than a month ago ($2.88), and $1.08 higher than this day last year ($1.95).
|Region||Current Price*||One Week Ago||One Month Ago||One Year Ago|
*Prices as of May 24, 2021
The AAA Gas Prices website is your resource for up-to-date fuel price information. Search average gas prices by Regular, Plus, Premium and Diesel on National and State levels, as well as Metro areas.