Eighty-five percent of travelers planning a vacation trip between now and the fall say they will be vaccinated before leaving home, according to AAA Northeast.
With Memorial Day approaching, an estimated 37 million Americans will travel 50 miles or more from home, not as many as pre-pandemic but 60 percent more than in 2020. Nine in ten plan to travel by car, with domestic destinations being the most popular.
In addition to being vaccinated, respondents to an informal online survey of local travelers from AAA Northeast stated:
- 82% are taking or considering a trip between now and the fall. 30% will travel over Memorial Day
- Almost all Memorial Day planned travel will be to domestic locations with the largest percentage traveling 50-200 miles.
- Sometime this year, 45% will be taking their first trip since the pandemic.
- 40 % of spring, summer and fall travelers plan to stay in hotels.
- 40% of travelers said that COVID-19 has not impacted their plans.
“All around us are signs that people are traveling or planning vacation trips,” said Diana Gugliotta, Senior Manager of Public Affairs for AAA Northeast. “People are still cautious, but with increasing vaccinations and easing of restrictions the hard-hit travel and tourism industry will continue to see a welcome return of visitors.”